Refined apple pie from scratch recipe.
* 2 cups all-purpose flour * 1 teaspoon salt * 1 cup shortening * 1/2 cup water
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough in half, and shape into balls. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. 2. Roll out dough on a floured counter. Don't over work it. Use as directed in pie recipe.
Egg Spread for Crust
* 1 egg * 2 tablespoon of water
1. Spread over edges of bottom layer of crust to act as a glue for the top layer. 2. Spread over top layer center (not edges) to create a flaky crisp texture.
* 6 Apples - (Granny smiths give a sweet tart taste) * 3/4 Cups sugar * 2 Tablespoon flour * 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon * 1/4 teaspoon salt * 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg * 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1. Thinly slice peeled apples. As you cut the apples dip both sides in lemon juice and leave in bowl. 2. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, into apple/lemon juice mix. Stir until all apple slices are equally covered in other ingredients. 3. Pour filling into crust and bake at 400°F for approximately 50 minutes - until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.